Thursday, March 3, 2016

My first ever Moms Weekend

I've been invited before, but I've never allowed myself to go.
 
A. I would miss my kiddos too much.  
B. There is no way my household could run without me at the wheel. 

Last weekend I went.  
I missed my kids, but guess what, they survived.  

After reflecting, I came to a few realizations: 

1.  I have some serious control issues.  I guess I've always known this, but this was the first time someone has pointed it out to me and I really acknowledged it.  

2.  My husband is 35 years old and perfectly competent in being responsible for our kids.  Even though our parenting styles are different, we care about our kids' well being the exact same amount.  

3.  Out of all of these girls' kids, my children have the least amount of household responsibilities.  It finally hit me that I have a 10 and 9 year old that are totally capable of unloading a dishwasher or putting away their own clean clothing. 

4.  I so needed the two days of mental relaxation.  Ten years of "Mom do this!"  "Mom do that!"  Mom right now!"  adds up.

5.  Moms need time to be silly and act like the girls they used to be before they were moms.  We covered all topics: kids, in-laws, sex, religion, poop.  All while wearing sweats and drinking champagne.  

I feel rejuvenated.  I love these girls (most live in my neighborhood!) and they each have something to teach the others.  There's no way I'll wait another ten years to do this again!

0 witty remarks: